Mangalore - my granny and uncle's home


It has been really long since I did a post on this blog. I have been itching to post but I was short of matter with no time for travel holidays. Finally, this month we decided to make our much awaited trip to Mangalore.

Mangalore always brings back fond memories. I was born there and spent a year of my childhood in a sprawling mansion with my grandparents and uncles to dote over me. This trip was nostalgic simply because this time around I went there with my baby.

Mangalore to me now means, a doting grandma, a loving uncle, mangoes, jackfruit, freshly plucked coconut waters, yummy food cooked in granny's kitchen, whiff of freshly baked bread and cookies, vegetable garden, frontyard, lots of space and fresh air.

It has been pouring there since almost a month now. The place looks lush. One of the things I wished to do but could not was - relax :( But instead I made the most of my time with my near and dear ones. When I think relaxation, I see myself laid back on the easy chair in the sitting room looking out into the freshly watered gardens.

Mangalore is also known for its tiles (terracota), typical Konkani cuisine, bakeries, cathedrals, churches, temples, beaches and a fairly laid back life. A deep breath and the picture of the easy chair with my grandpa seated on it relaxes me instantly.

The drivewayThe annona plantJackfruits The sitting roomThis one is my great grandpa's possession.Graffiti by yours truly - @3 yrs
The town hall

Comments

mixdbrew said…
WOW!! I'm a Mangalorean too...so this post brought back so many wonderful memories. And I think it's so touching that ur grandparents have not whitewashed ur handiwork :)

Thank you for this post.
vandram said…
Loved the snaps accompanying the write-up. Wow - what a house! You should update your blog more often - or rather travel more often.
Anonymous said…
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
Anonymous said…
I wish not agree on it. I regard as precise post. Especially the title-deed attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Popular posts from this blog

Goa

The Sri Lankan Itinerary

Varanasi/Benares - the ancient living city